For more help on any of the issues... 

What to do if you are unsure if your marriage is legally recognised:


Check your marriage certificate


If your marriage was registered abroad, it is recognised in the U.K.


If your marriage was conducted in the UK:
If you were married in a Register Office or had an official Registrar at your ceremony who issued you with a marriage certificate, you should be able to trace the certificate through:


General Register Office

Smedley Hydro

Trafalgar Road



If you have had a Nikah only marriage and no civil ceremony in addition your marriage is not legally recognised in British law.If you are still unsure or do not have any sort of certificate, then seek legal advice from a qualified family lawyer who is experienced in the status of religious marriages

Useful links


Muslim Women’s Network

National helpline 

0845 451 2547 

Muslim Women's council Bradford

Muslim Youth Helpline


Karma Nirvana 

UK Helpline: 0800 5999 247 

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm.

Register our marriage